How Do I Change My Netgear Router Settings?
To make the most out of your Netgear WiFi router, you have to change its settings. And this post is all about changing your Netgear router settings with great ease. Learning how to change your wireless router settings enables you to take full advantage of advanced features of your router, many of which you are not even familiar with at the moment.
Let’s get to know how to customize the settings of your Netgear WiFi router. Read on.
Change Netgear Router Settings
Gain Access to Your Router
In order to tweak your Netgear router settings, you have to learn how to access it as an admin. Here are the steps to log in to your Netgear router’s admin panel:
- Launch your favorite web browser on a PC or laptop.
- Now, type routerlogin.net in the address bar.
- Press the Enter key.
- The Netgear router login window will appear.
- Fill the username and password into the prompted fields.
- Hit the Log In button.
Change Netgear Router Default Password
As soon as you gain access to your Netgear router, the first thing you should do is to change the default password to something more secure. In the event that you leave the default password as it is, someone else can mess with your router’s settings. Here’s how to change the Netgear router default password:
- Type the default web address or IP address into the address bar of your preferred web browser.
- Log in with the admin username and password.
- Head over to Settings.
- Choose the Change Router Password option.
- Type the new password.
- Save the new settings done by you.
Don’t forget that a strong password is at least eight characters long and includes an amalgamation of numbers, letters, and special symbols.
How to Change Your SSID
SSID or Service Set Identifier is actually a fancy term used for network name. After Netgear router setup, your network may has a very generic name. In order to change it to something more memorable, here are a series of steps you have to walk through:
- Head over to the login web page.
- Navigate to the Setup section.
- Select the Wireless Settings option.
- Enter the new SSID.
- Remember to Save the new settings.
How to Configure Multi-SSID and Guest WiFi
Many modern WiFi routers are able to broadcast multiple access points simultaneously. Generally, one access point is used to connect known devices to the network while a completely different access point is created for guests. The main advantage is that there is no need to share your main WiFi password with your guests. In order to create a guest WiFi network with your Netgear router, follow the instructions below:
- Access the default login web page via an internet browser.
- Enter your user ID and password and click on the Log In button.
- Select the Guest Network option.
- Make sure that the Enable SSID Broadcast check box is enabled.
- Assign a name to your guest network.
- Choose a security option.
- At last, hit the Apply button to save the new settings.
That’s how you can change your Netgear router settings with great ease. In case of any issues, get in touch with our technical experts right away.